Home

HMS Northumberland (1868) BB  (7th)

    
This the seventh ship to carry the name HMS Northumberland was a single ship class of iron battleship.

Built by Mare of Blackwall, laid down Oct-1861, launched 17-Apr-1866 and completed in Oct-1868. 

After an early task of towing the Bermuda Dry Dock in company with HMS Agincourt in 1868, she served her entire active life in the Channel Fleet.

Went into Reserve in 1890, and became a depot ship 1898.

Renamed Acheron Mar-1904 when she became a training ship.

Converted to a coal hulk C.9 in 1909.

Sold Jun-1927. Resold as a hulk Stedmound  and finally scrapped in 1935.

 

Other HMS Northumberland
- 1st  HMS Northumberland
- 2nd HMS Northumberland
- 3rd HMS Northumberland
- 4th HMS Northumberland
- 5th HMS Northumberland
- 6th HMS Northumberland
- 7th HMS Northumberland
- 8th HMS Northumberland

- Northumberland Class (1868) BB
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

This page last edited - 06 September, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.