HMS Acheron (1904) (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Acheron was
HMS Northumberland a single ship class of iron battleship.
Built by Mare of Blackwall, laid down Oct-1861, launched 17-Apr-1866 and completed in Oct-1868.
After an early task of towing the Bermuda Dry Dock in company with HMS Agincourt in 1868, she served her entire active life in the Channel Fleet.
Went into Reserve in 1890, and became a depot ship 1898.
Renamed Acheron Mar-1904 when she became a training ship.
Converted to a coal hulk C.9 in 1909.
Sold Jun-1927. Resold as a hulk Stedmound and finally scrapped in 1935.
This page last edited -
22 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.