HMS Dido (1940) CC (5th)
This the fifth ship to carry the name HMS Dido was the name
ship of a large class of eleven
anti-aircraft light cruisers.
Built by Cammell Laird of Birkenhead, laid down 26-Oct-1937, launched 18-Jul-1939, and commissioned 30-Sep-1940.
On completion joined the 15th Cruiser Squadron with the Home Fleet. Took part in operations against German ships after the sinking of HMS Jervis Bay Nov-1940.
To the Mediterranean Apr-1941, taking part in Crete operations. Then the assault on Assab in the red Sea. While of Crete she had been hit by a bomb and went to Durban and Simonstown for temporary repairs.
Full repairs and refit took place at Brooklyn Navy Yard from 10-Aug until 03-Dec-1941.
Returned to the Mediterranean to cover Malta convoys, and also took part in the 2nd Battle of Sirte.
Jan-1943 was part of force Q at Bone.
Returned home for refit which took from Apr to Jun-1943. After which she went back to the Mediterranean and the Sicily landings, Anzio landings and Naval Gunfire Support on the Italian coast.
In aug-1944 supported the landings in the South of France, after which she returned to the UK.
Operated in Arctic waters and off the Norwegian coast for the rest of the war.
When war ended joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron. Then went for refit Mar-Aud-1946.
After this joined the 2nd Cruiser Squadron
Paid off and went into reserve Oct-1947. Remained in reserve at Gareloch 1947/51 then Portsmouth 1951/58.
Appeared at the Coronation Review 1953.
Arrived at Ward of Barrow, 16-Jul-1958 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
17 January, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.