HMS Sirius (1940) CC (6th)
This the fifth ship to carry the name HMS Sirius was an anti-aircraft, light cruiser.
Built at Portsmouth Dockyard, laid down 06-Apr-1938, launched 18-Sep-1940, 06-May-1942.
On completion joined the Home Fleet until Aug-1942 when she went to the Mediterranean for Operation Pedestal a Malta supply convoy.
After this she went to the South Atlantic to patrol against blockade runners on the Far East route. Returning to Gibraltar in Nov-1942 for to cover the North Africa landings, Operation Torch.
Moved to Bone Dec-1942 and Force Q to operate against Axis convoys to Tunisia, until Axis forces surrendered in North Africa.
Took part in the Sicily landings Jul-1943 as part of 12th Cruiser Squadron then provided Naval Gunfire Support along the coast.
Helped with the occupation of Taranto Sep-1943 before going to the Adriatic. On 05-Oct-1943 helped sink a German convoy in the Dodecanese.
While off Scarpanto 17-Oct-1943 was bombed and badly damaged and went to Massawa for repair which took until from Nov-1943 until Feb-1944.
Returned to home waters in time for the Normandy landings Jun-1944 where she was part of the reserve for the Eastern Task Force.
Moved to the Mediterranean Aug-1944 for the landings in the South of France.
Moved to the Aegean and was at the re-occupation of Athens Oct-1944.
Remained in the Mediterranean with the 15th Cruiser Squadron until 1946 when she returned for refit at Portsmouth.
After refit joined the 2nd Cruiser Squadron with the Home Fleet until Mar-1947.
Paid off 1949.
Sold 1956 and arrived at Hughes Bolckow of Blyth, 15-Oct-1956 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
20 January, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.