HMS Lion (1557) (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Lion was a 40-gun, great ship, also
known as the Golden Lion.
Built in 1557 and of 600 tons builders measurement (bm).
Rebuilt 1582 as 500 tons bm, and armed with 8 x 18pdr, 14 x 9pdr, 9 x 6pdr, 4 x 3pdr, and 25 smaller guns.
Rebuilt at Deptford Dockyard 1609 as 600 tons bm and renamed Red Lion.
Rebuilt at Chatham Dockyard 1640 as 751 tons bm, 130ft long, 35ft 6on wide and renamed Lion.
Rebuilt a final time in 1658.
Won the Battle Honours: Armada 1588, Cadiz 1596, Kentish Knock 1652, Portland 1653, Gabbard 1653, Scheveningen 1653, Lowestoft 1665, Four Days' Battle 1666, Orfordness 1666, Schooneveld 1673, Texel 1673 and Barfleur 1692.
Other HMS Lion
- ? Class
This page last edited -
24 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.