HMS Lion (1960) CC (18th)
This the eighteenth ship to carry the name HMS Lion was a Cruiser.
Originally HMS Defence.
Built by Scotts of Greenock, laid down 24-Jun-1942, launched 02-Sep-1944.
Completion was suspended and not resumed until 15-Oct-1954 when her superstructure was dismantled 1955 in preparation for completion as a new design. Conversion completed by Swan Hunter of Wallsend.
Armed with 4 x 6in and 6 x 3in guns.
Renamed HMS Lion 08-Oct-1957.
On completion served with the Home and Mediterranean Fleets 1960-62. Refitted 1962, then the Home and Far East Fleets 1962-64.
Went into reserve 1964-72 and listed for disposal 1972 after which she was cannibalised to provide parts for her sister ship Tiger.
Sold 12-Feb-1975 and arrived at Inverkeithing Apr-1975 for breaking up.
Other HMS Lion
This page last edited -
11 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.