HMS Grafton (1894) CC (5th)
This the fifth ship to carry the name HMS Grafton was a 1st Class.
Built by Thames Iron Works of Blackwall, laid down 01-Jan-1890, launched 30-Jan-1892, and completed 18-Oct-1894.
On completion served in Particular Service 1894-95, then Flagship China Station 1895-99. Returned to the UK and reserve at Chatham 1899-1901. To the Pacific Station 1902-04.
Back to the UK and used as tender to HMS Excellent as Gunnery Training Ship 1905-13. Then served with the Training Squadron, Queenstown 1913-14.
With the start of WW1 served with the 10th Cruiser Squadron on the Northern patrol 1914.
Rebuilt 1915 with huge torpedo bulges for service at the Dardanelles. At the Dardanelles 1915-16. Served in the Mediterranean 1916-17 and the Red Sea 1917-18, the Aegean 1918.
Serves as Depot ship for British ships supporting White Russians at the Black Sea 1919.
Returned to the UK at the Nore 1919-20.
Paid off and sold 01-Jul-1920.
Won the Battle Honour: Dardanelles 1915-16.
This page last edited -
26 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.