HMS Coventry (1918) CC (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Coventry was a Ceres
Class (1917) CC
Built by Swan Hunter, laid down 04-Aug-1916, launched 06-Jul-1917, and commissioned 21-Feb-1918.
On completion served with the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron, in Harwich until 1919. From 1920 to 24 as Commodore (D). Then went to the Mediterranean as Commodore (D) from 1924 to 1928.
Refitted from 1928 to 1930 then back to he Mediterranean as Flag (D) until 01-Oct-1938 then into reserve.
Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.
Returned to Portsmouth for conversion to an Anti-aircraft cruiser.
Sep-1939 she was in the Mediterranean then went on to Norwegian operations Apr-May-1940.
Aug-1940 went to Gibraltar to the forming Force H before going on to the Eastern Mediterranean and being based at Alexandria.
Participated in attacks on Benghazi and Malta convoy escort.
On 13-Dec-1940 was torpedoed and damaged by the Italian submarine Neghelli.
In 1941 covered troop convoys to Greece and later the evacuations. Most of 1941 was spent on Malta convoy escort. the evacuation from Crete and the Syrian campaign.
1942 saw continued Malta convoy escort work until 14-Sep-1942 she was badly damaged by aircraft on a raid on Tobruk, and had to be sunk by HMS Zulu.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
09 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.