Ceres Class (1917) CC
five ships of the Ceres Class (1917) were light cruisers. Ordered
Mar/Apr-1916 as repeats of the previous Caledon Class (1917). However,
despite being intended as repeats enough design changes were made to make
then a separate and fifth sub-group of C Class cruisers.
As a result of the London Naval Treaty of 1930, a number of cruisers had to be disposed of. So all C Class cruisers were earmarked for conversion to Anti-aircraft cruisers, but only Coventry, Curacoa and Curlew were actually converted.
Three were lost during WW2 and the two survivors were scrapped shortly after the war ended.
This page last edited -
08 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.