HMS Arethusa (1935) CC (7th)
This the seventh ship to carry the name HMS Arethusa was a
Built at Chatham Dockyard, laid down 25-Jan-1933, launched 06-Mar-1934, and completed 23-May-1935.
On completion joined the 3rd Cruiser Squadron and went to the Mediterranean and she was still there when WW2 started.
Returned to Home waters early 1940 to form part of the 2nd Cruiser Squadron with the rest of her class.
Took part in the Norwegian operations Apr-1940. Then 0-May joined the Nore command and assisted with the defence of the Calais and later evacuations from French Atlantic ports.
28-Jun-1940 joined the newly formed Force H at Gibraltar. and took part in action against Vichy French forces at Mers-el-Kebir Jul-1940.
While with Force H took part in convoy escort n the Atlantic and Mediterranean. Including convoy escort for Malta convoys and some supply trips to Malta.
Returned to home waters by the end of 1941 and took part in the Lofoten raid Dec-1941 where she was bombed and damaged by near misses.
Repair and refit at Chatham took until Apr-1942. hen in Jun-1942 t was back to the Mediterranean with the 15th Cruiser Squadron and Malta convoy escort work. On one, the 'Stoneage' operation she was struck by torpedo from Italian aircraft and had to be towed to Alexandria having suffered heavy casualties. Temporary repairs took until 07-Feb-1943, when she went to Charleston in the USA for full repair.
Repairs took until 15-Dec-43 after which she returned to Britain but did not become fully operational until Jun-44. Then it was operation in support of the Normandy landings.
By Jan-1945 she was back in the Mediterranean with the 15th Cruiser Squadron where she ended the war.
After the war she was considered too small to be modernised and was used for trials and experiments in 1949. Before being marked for disposal.
Arrived at Cashmore of Newport 09-May-1950 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
23 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.