Arethusa Class (1935) CC
Arethusa Class were light cruisers and began with design work in 1929. This was
completed by Feb-1932, but the Labour Government of the day did not approve
the expenditure. So when they were authorised they were subject to the London
Naval Treaty and had to be redesigned to a smaller size.
They were intended to be replacements for the 'C' and 'D' classes, serving as fleet cruisers at Home and in the Mediterranean.
One ship formed part of part of each of the 1931, 32, 33 and 34 construction programmes.
By WW2 they had all received various modifications to their armaments. During the war light Anti-aircraft defences were also added to.
Two were lost during the war, with Aurora sold to Nationalist China later moving on to the Communist China Navy. Arethusa was scrapped 1950.
This page last edited -
04 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.