HMS Uganda (1943) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Uganda was the name
ship of a class of three cruisers.
Built by Vickers Armstrong on the Tyne, laid down 20-Jul-1939, launched 07-Aug-1941 and commissioned 03-Jan-1943.
On completion joined the Home Fleet but went to the Mediterranean for the Sicily Landings.
For the next few months she provided Naval Gunfire Support, then in Sep-1943 took part in the Salerno Landings. There on 15-Sep-1943 she was hit by a radio-guided bomb and badly damaged.
Went to the Charlestown Naval Yard in the USA for repairs which took from Oct-1943 to Oct-1944.
On completion of the repairs she was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy 21-Oct-1944.
Went to the UK for further work which took until Jan 1945 when she went to the British Pacific Fleet and the 4th Cruiser Squadron.
Became part of Task Force 57 in the Okinawa area.
Apr-1945 was screening carriers off Formosa. In Jul-1945 screened carriers during the final raids on Japan.
Arrived at Canada 10-Aug-1945 for refit at Esquimalt.
After WW2 ended she was used in a training role and renamed Quebec 14-Jan-1952.
Paid off 13-Jun-1956 and sold for scrap.
Arrived at Osaka 06-Feb-1961 for breaking up.
This page last edited -
14 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.