Uganda Class (1943) CC
three Uganda Class cruisers were ordered as
Fiji Class (1940) ships but
construction was suspended due to pressure on shipyards to repair battle
damage to ships during the Dunkirk Evacuations of May-1940.
After construction restarted they were completed to a modified design with the removal of 'X' turret, replaced with additional anti-aircraft defences.
Due to manpower shortages Uganda was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1944 after having bomb damage repaired.
All survived WW2.
The remaining two ships were among the most modern cruisers in the post WW2 fleet. They were extensively modernised during the 1950's and sold to Peru 1959.
This page last edited -
15 December, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.