HMS Tiger (1959) CC (12th)
This the twelfth ship to carry the name HMS Tiger was the lead ship
of a class of three cruisers.
Built by John Brown Shipyard on the Clyde, laid down 01-Oct-1941, launched 25-Oct-1945.
Completion suspended until 15-Oct-1954 when it was announced she would be completed to a new design.
Her superstructure was dismantled 1955 in preparation for the new design.
Served with the Home and Mediterranean Fleets 1959-61. Refitted 1961, the with the Home or Far East Fleets 1961-66. Into reserve Dec-1966.
Converted to a Helicopter Cruiser at Devonport 1968-72. Used for general sea service 1972-78.
Appeared at the Silver Jubilee Review 1977.
Went into reserve Apr-1978. Listed for disposal 1980.
Arrived at Castellon, Spain 28-Sep-1986 for breaking up..
Other HMS Tiger
This page last edited -
28 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.