HMS Scylla (1942) CC (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Scylla was an anti-aircraft, light
Built by Scotts of Greenock, laid down 19-Apr-1939, launched 24-Jul-1940, and commissioned 12-Jun-1942.
On completion served with the Home Fleet on Arctic convoy duties. Then 28-Oct-1942 went to Gibraltar.
Nov-1942 took part in the Torch landings in North Africa as part of Force O with the Eastern Task Force.
In Dc-1942 went to the Bay of Biscay to operate against blockade runners and intercepted the German ship Rhakotis, north-west of Cape Finisterre on 01-Jan-1943.
Returned to the Home Fleet Feb-1943 for Arctic convoy duty, returning to the Bay of Biscay area in Jun-1943.
Then it was to the Mediterranean to Support the Salerno landings.
Returned to home waters Oct-1943 to Apr-1944 to refit as an escort carrier flagship.
Took part in the Normandy landings as Flagship Eastern Task Force.
On 23-Jun-1944 struck a mine and was declared a Constructional Total Loss.
Towed to Portsmouth disposed of 1950.
Used for ship target trials 1948/50.
Sold 12-Apr-1950 and arrived at Ward of Barrow 04-May-1950 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
30 May, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.