HMS Pegasus (1917) CV (6th)
This the sixth ship to carry the name HMS Pegasus was a mixed carrier.
Built by John Brown on the Clyde, bought 27-Feb-1917, and completed with a hangar aft for seaplanes and flying-off platform forward for landplanes. Launched 09-Jun-1917 and commissioned 28-Feb-1917, three days after HMS Nairana. Making Pegasus the last of the mixed carriers.
On completion served at Rosyth during 1917/18. Took part in some North Sea operations but was used mainly for pilot training and ferrying aircraft to platform equipped capital ships.
Stationed at Archangel may-Sep-1919 in support of White Russians against Red Russians. Also served at the Dardanelles in 1920 during the Chanak Crisis.
Attached to the Mediterranean Fleet 1920-24.
The launching platform was removed 1923 and she was re-rated as an aircraft tender 1924.
Went to Singapore 1924-25, and returned to the UK and into reserve 25-Jul-1925.
Re-commissioned 1929 for a short time.
Sold 22-Aug-1931 for scrapping.
- ? Class
This page last edited -
08 September, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.