HMS Pegasus (1934) CV (7th)
This the seventh ship to carry the name HMS Pegasus was a
originally the second
HMS Ark Royal
Built by Mercantile of Blyth, bought May-1914, launched 05-Sep-1914, commissioned Dec-1914, 352ft 6in long, 51ft wide and displacing 7,080 tons. Armed with 4 x 12pdr guns and carried four seaplanes.
Her aircraft first saw action in February 1915 over the Dardanelles and until the arrival of German submarines she operated in the northern Aegean reconnoitering and bombing Turkish ports.
After the war she continued in Naval service and took Royal Air Force aircraft to British Somaliland to aid quelling the “Mad Mullah’s revolt".
In 1920 and in 1922 carried RAF aircraft for the “Chanak Incident”.
Used as a depot ship 1923 then various sundry duties until 1930 when she was fitted with a catapult was used as a seaplane trials and training vessel.
Renamed HMS Pegasus 21-Dec-1934, to free up the name Ark Royal for the aircraft carrier under construction.
Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.
From Sep to Nov 1939, used as an aircraft ferry for the Orkneys and Shetland Command.
Converted to the prototype Catapult Fighter Ship, and made three cruises as a convoy escort with two or three Fairey Fulmar fighters aboard.
Following which she reverted to a seaplane training ship until Feb-1944. Reduced to an accommodation vessel until May-1946.
Paid off Jun-1946 and sold 18-Oct-1946 for conversion to a merchant ship.
The conversion was never completed and she was broken up 1950.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1940-41.
- ? Class
This page last edited -
13 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.