HMS Nelson (1927) BB (3rd)
This is the third ship to carry the name HMS Nelson.
She was built by Armstrong Shipbuilders, laid down in Dec-1922, launched 03-Sep-1925 and completed in Jun-1927.
She was the first British battleship designed to comply with the limitations of the Washington treaty 1922.
Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.
All her pre-war service was with the Atlantic and Home Fleets. On 4-Dec-1939 she was damaged by a magnetic mine off Loch Ewe, and repaired over the following eight months at Portsmouth.
On rejoining she went to the Home Fleet until Sep-1941. On 27-Sep-41 she was hit by a torpedo while escorting a convoy to Malta and had to return to to the UK for repairs which lasted until April-1942.
On joining the Mediterranean Fleet she escorted a number of Malta convoys, and took part in support operations for the North Africa, Sicily and Salerno amphibious landings.
She returned to the UK to take part in the Normandy landings but on 18-June-1944 was extensively damaged by two magnetic mines in the English Channel. Repairs were carried out at Philadelphia and lasted six months.
She then went to the Indian Ocean, taking part in operations against the Japanese off Malaya.
A return to the Home Fleet followed in 1945 but she became non-operational in late 1946.
Sold in 1948 and arrived at Inverkeithing for breaking up 15-Mar-1949.
This page last edited -
13 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.