HMS Mauritius (1941) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Mauritius was a Cruiser.
Built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend, laid down 31-Mar-1938, launched 19-Jul-1939, and commissioned 04-Jan-1941.
On completion was used on trade protection duties in the Atlantic. Then went to the East Indies late-1941, joining the Eastern Fleet 1942.
Moved to the Mediterranean Apr-1943.
Took part in the Sicily landings Jul-1943, then in Sep-1943 the Salerno landings.
Moved to the Bay of Biscay late 1943 for anti-blockade patrols.
Returned to the Mediterranean Jan-1944 and the Anzio landings.
Ju-1944 took part in the Normandy landings as part of Force D off Sword Beach, then took part in offensive patrols off the Brittany coast Aug-1944.
Operating with destroyers, sank the Sperbrecher 157 on the night of 14/15-Aug and five Vorpostenboote on the night of 22/23-Aug-1944.
Returned to the Home Fleet and covered carrier raids along the Norwegian coast. Jan-1945 in company with HMS Diadem saw action with German destroyers.
Then went for refit at Cammell-Laird from Feb-1945 until Mar-1946.
After this went to the Mediterranean until 1948 when she went into reserve and a refit.
Returned to the Mediterranean 06-May-1949 and quickly went on to the East Indies Station and the 4th Cruiser Squadron. Returning to the UK 18-Dec-1951.
Refitted 1052-53 then went into reserve 1953-60.
Listed for disposal 1960.
Arrived at Inverkeithing 27-Mar-1965 for scrapping.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
19 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.