Home

HMS Lancaster (1940) DD  (6th)

    
This the sixth ship to carry the name HMS Lancaster was one of fifty destroyers sold to the Royal Navy in 1940 as part of the Destroyers-for-bases agreement with the United States.

Originally the USS Philip DD76, built by Bath Iron Works, laid down 01-Sep-1917, launched 25-Jul-1918, and commissioned in the US Navy 25-Aug-1918. Lancaster was commissioned into the Royal Navy 23-Oct-1940.

After modification she was used as a minelayer escort in the UK-Iceland-Faeroes gap. This continued until 1942, with Atlantic and Russian convoy escort work from time to time. 

Following a major refit in Belfast she rejoined the minelaying force until transferred to Rosyth for local escort convoy work between the Forth and the Thames.

From Mar-1945 served as a target ship for the Fleet Air Arm in the Moray Firth. 

Following the end of WW2 she was placed in Reserve.

Arrived at Blyth for breaking up 30-May-1947.

Won the Battle Honours: Atlantic 1941, Arctic 1942 and North Sea 1943-45

 

Other HMS Lancaster
- 1st  HMS Lancaster
- 2nd HMS Lancaster
- 3rd HMS Lancaster
- 4th HMS Lancaster
- 5th HMS Lancaster
- 6th HMS Lancaster
- 7th HMS Lancaster

- Town Class (1940) DD
- Specifications Type B
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c.
This page last edited - 19 June, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.