HMS Endymion (1894) CC (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Endymion was a 1st
Class, Protected Cruiser.
Built by Earle of Hull, laid down 21-Nov-1889, launched 22-Jul-1891 and completed 26-May-1894.
On completion served with the Channel Fleet 1894-95, then 'particular service' 1896-97.
Went into reserve at Chatham 1897-99, and to the China Station 1899-1902.
Returned to the UK and refit 1902-03. Back to the Channel Fleet 1904 and then tender to HMS Wildfire as Gunnery Training Ship, Sheerness 1905-12. Flagship Training Squadron, Queenstown 1913-14.
Joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron on the Northern Patrol 1914.
Rebuilt with very large anti-torpedo bulges 1915, then served at the Dardanelles 1915-16. Continued in the Mediterranean 1916-18 and the Aegean 1918.
Returned to the UK and paid of at the Nore 1919.
This page last edited -
18 December, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.