HMS Despatch (1922) CC (7th)
This the seventh ship to carry the name HMS Despatch was a Danae
Class (1918) light cruiser.
Built by Fairfield, laid down 08-Jul-1918, launched 24-Sep-1919, after launch was towed to Chatham Dockyard for completion and not commissioned until 15-Jun-1922.
On completion went to the China Station and the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron, where she remained until 1927.
Then it was on to the America and west Indies Station with the 8th Cruiser Squadron until mid-1931 when she returned to home waters and went into reserve.
Underwent a refit then joined 3rd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean on 03-Feb-1933. Where she remained until 24-Nov-1937, when she left Malta to return home.
Continued in reserve and training duties until the start of WW2. When she joined the 8th Cruiser Squadron on the America and West Indies Station.
Moved on the South Atlantic Command where she captured the German merchant vessels, Dusseldorf off Chile in Dec-1939, Troja off Aruba Mar-1940, and Norderney of the Amazon estuary 15-Aug-1941 while in company with the Armed Merchant Cruiser (later CVE) Pretoria Castle. Apart from a short spell with Force H at Gibraltar in Nov-1940 remained with the South Atlantic Command until early 1942 when she returned to Britain for refit.
After refit, returned to the South Atlantic until Oct-1943 when it was time for another refit at Portsmouth which took until May-1944.
Acted as a headquarters ship during the invasion of Normandy Jun-1944.
Jan-1945 went into reserve as an accommodation ship.
Sold 05-Apr-1946 for scrapping and arrived at Troon 05-May-1946 for breaking up.
This page last edited -
10 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.