Danae Class (1918) CC
early 1916 intelligence reports indicated that the Germans were constructing
a new class of cruisers armed with 10 or 12 x150mm (5.9in) guns, which would
out-class the C Class cruisers.
So the Danae Class (1918) cruisers had one additional 6in main gun added on the centreline by lengthening the C Class design by 20ft, moving the bridge aft by 8ft and adding a B-turret on a deckhouse forward of the bridge superfiring on No 1 gun. This caused the internal arrangements to be considerably altered.
As they were being designed, the Battle of Jutland was fought and several modifications made as a result of the lessons learned from the battle. Armoured box protection was added to the magazines, extra protection added to the gun shields, torpedo tubes changed from twin to triple units and depth charge throwers installed. These caused increased displacement and reduction of 1kt in top speed.
They were ordered in three groups.
Unlike the C Class they were not converted to anti-aircraft cruisers although HMS Delhi was modified in this way when she underwent a rebuild in the USA in 1941.
Five of the eight survived WW2 and were paid off shortly after the war ended.
They represent the final development of the concept begun with the Arethusa Class (1914).
This page last edited -
03 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.