HMS Royal Sovereign (1637) (2nd)
This the second Sovereign, was built at Woolwich, by Peter and Phineas Pett.
Launched on 14-October-1637 as a 1st Rate, of 100 guns and 1,545 tons builders measure, 380ft long and 48ft 6in wide.
She was originally named Sovereign of the Seas
In 1649 when Oliver Cromwell's Commonwealth established, it was proposed that she be renamed Commonwealth, but this was not done and she became simply, Sovereign.
Following the restoration of the Monarchy, she was commonly called Royal Sovereign.
She was formally renamed Royal Sovereign 1660, when she was rebuilt at Chatham Dockyard.
During this rebuild her upper works were lowered to improve her sailing but she remained a three-decked ship, her tonnage increased to 1,607 tons.
Another rebuild followed at Chatham in 1685 when she was again increased to 1,683 tons builders measure..
Her end came when she was accidentally burnt at Chatham on 29-January-1696, when being prepared to undergo another rebuild.
In 1701 a new Royal Sovereign was built at Woolwich and referred to as a rebuild. But this cannot be accepted as being correct.
Other HMS Sovereign
This page last edited -
26 August, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.