HMS Grenville (1943) DD (4th)
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Grenville was the U
Class destroyer leader. As destroyer leader she had slightly reduced
armament to allow the increased complement and working space needed to
control a flotilla.
Built by Swan Hunter, laid down 01-Nov-1941, launched 12-Oct-1942, and commissioned 27-May-1943.
On commissioning served in the Channel and the Bay of Biscay, then Jun-1944 completed operations as part of the Normandy landings.
After this it was on to the Mediterranean and duty in the Adriatic.
To the East Indies early 1945, before moving to the British Pacific Fleet.
Converted to a Type 15 frigate 1953-54, with the pennant number F197.
Used for helicopter trials 1957 and put into reserve 1960. Refitted and used as a Radar trials ship 1969.
Listed for sale 1974.
Broken up 1983 at Rochester.
This page last edited -
02 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.