HMS Emerald (1926) CC (9th)
This the ninth ship to carry the name HMS Emerald was an E
Built by Armstrong of Elswick, laid down 23-Sep-1918, launched 19-May-1920, completed at Chatham Dockyard and commissioned 15-Jan-1926.
On completion went to the East Indies to join the 4th Cruiser Squadron. Returned home 15-July-1933.
After completing a refit on 31-Aug-1934 went back to the East Indies, remaining there until Sep1937. After which she returned to the UK and went into reserve.
When WW2 started joined the 12th Cruiser Squadron, on northern patrol work in Sep-1939. After a short time she went to the Atlantic for convoy escort duties. Remaining there until 1940. Between Oct-1939 and Aug-1940 transferred £58 million in gold to Canada.
Transferred to the Indian Ocean 1941 and escorted troop convoys to the Middle East. Stood by in the Persian Gulf in Apr-1941 during Iraq operations.
With the entry of Japan into the war, went to the Eastern Fleet as part of the 'Fast Group' and became Flagship in Mar-1942.
Returned to Portsmouth Aug-1942 for refit which lasted until Apr-1943.
Then it was back again to the 4th Cruiser Squadron with the Eastern Fleet for escort duties.
Returned to the UK in time for the Normandy landings and formed part of Force K in supporting the landings at Gold beach.
In Jan-1945 went into reserve and in 1947 was allocated for target trials.
During these she foundered in Kames Bay, Rothesay, on 24-Oct-1947.
Refloated 09-Jun-1948, sold for scrapping 23-Jun-1948, and arrived at Young of Troon 05-Jul-1948 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
07 May, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.