HMS Cleopatra (1941) CC (6th)
This the sixth ship to carry the name HMS Cleopatra was an anti-aircraft, light cruiser.
Built by Hawthorn Leslie of Hebburn, laid down 05-Jan-1939, launched 27-Mar-1940, and commissioned 05-Dec-1941.
Shortly after completion went to Gibraltar and then on 09-Feb-1942 continued on to Malta. Almost immediately was damaged during a bombing raid and after repairs was moved to Alexandria and the 15th Cruiser Squadron.
Took part in the 2nd Battle of Sirte.
Jun-1942 covered Operation Harpoon/Vigorous. Bombarded Rhodes aug-1942 as part of a diversion for the Pedestal Malta convoy. In Jan-1943 was part of Force K and later Force Q at Bone attacking Axis convoys to and from Tunisia.
Took part in the Sicily landings Jun-1943 and later provided naval gunfire support along the coast.
Torpedoed and badly damaged by the Italian submarine Dandolo 16-Jul-1943. Temporary repairs at Malta took until Oct-1943 after which she went to Philadelphia for full repairs.
Repairs were completed Nov-1944 and in 1945 went to the East Indies, where in Sep-1945 she was the first ship to return to the newly capture port of Singapore.
After WW2 ended continued in the East Indies with the 5th Cruiser Squadron until 07-Jan-1946 when she returned to Portsmouth for refit.
After refit she joined the Home Fleet and the 2nd Cruiser Squadron from 1946 to 1951.
Went to the Mediterranean 1951 to 1953.
Returned to Chatham 12-Feb-1953 to be paid off.
Appeared at the Coronation Review 1953.
Arrived at Cashmore of Newport for breaking up, 12-Dec-1958.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
24 January, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.