HMS Ceylon (1943) CC (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Ceylon was a Cruiser.
Built by Stephens of Govan, laid down 27-Apr-1939, launched 30-Jul-1942, and commissioned 13-Jul-1943.
On completion served with the Home Fleet until late 1943.
Then joined the 4th Cruiser Squadron with the Eastern Fleet in the East Indies.
During 1944 covered carrier raids against Sabang, Surabaya and Sumatra.
Nov-1944 joined the British Pacific Fleet and remained there until May-1945, when she returned to the Indian Ocean, shelling the Nicobar Islands.
Remained in the Indian Ocean for the rest of the war.
Served with he Portsmouth Command 1946/50.
Then went to the 5th and 4th Cruiser Squadrons in the Far East and East Indies Stations, returning to Portsmouth 01-Oct-1954.
Went for major refit from Mar-1955 to Jul-1956, then served with the Home Fleet, Mediterranean Fleet, South Atlantic and East Indies Stations. Returned to Plymouth 18-Dec-1959 to be paid of and sold to Peru later that month.
Transfer to Peru took place 09-Feb-1960 and renamed Coronel Bolognesi.
Paid off May-1982 and arrived at Taiwan for breaking up Aug-1985.
Other HMS Ceylon
This page last edited -
17 January, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.