Home

HMS Cardiff  (1917) CC  (2nd)

   
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Cardiff was a Light Cruiser.

Ordered under the emergency plan in April 1916, built by Fairfield of Govan, laid down in 22-Jul-1916,  launched 12-Apr-1917 and commissioned 25-Jun-1917.

In July 1917 Cardiff became the flagship of the 6th Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet, based at Scapa Flow. Saw action in the Battle of Heligoland Bight on 17-Nov-1917. 

A year later she led the German High Seas Fleet into internment in Scapa Flow. 

A month later she was again on active service operating against the Bolsheviks near Reval in the Baltic until 1919.

Then to the Mediterranean until 1929, when it was back for refit from 1929 to 1931.

After rejoining the fleet it was out to the Africa Station as flagship 6th Cruiser Squadron until May-1933.

From Jul-1933 to Jul-1938 she was in Reserve.

Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.

Then went to the China Station until 29-Apr-1939 when she again went into reserve until re-activated at the outbreak of WW2.

Joined the 12th Cruiser Squadron and served with the Northern Patrol fro 1939 - 1940.

Spent the rest of the war as a gunnery training ship in the Western Approaches.

Sold for breaking up 23-Jan-1946 and broken up at Troon.

 

  

 

Other HMS Cardiff
- 1st  HMS Cardiff
- 2nd HMS Cardiff
- 3rd HMS Cardiff

- Ceres Class (1917) CC
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c. w. m.
This page last edited - 03 February, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.