HMS Argonaut (1941) CC (3rd)
This the third ship to carry the name HMS Argonaut was an anti-aircraft, light cruiser.
Built by Cammell Laird of Birkenhead, laid down 21-Nov-1939, launched 06-Sep-1941, and commissioned 08-Aug-1942.
On completion joined the Home Fleet on arctic convoy escort duty.
Then in Oct-1942 went to Gibraltar to join Force H and took part in Operation Torch, the North Africa landings. Moved to Bone as part of the Strike Force there operating in company with HMS Aurora.
On 14-Dec-1942 was hit by two torpedoes and badly damaged with both her bow and stern blown off.
Repairs at Philadelphia took until Nov-1943.
On her return to the UK she went to the Home Fleet and took part in the Normandy landings as part of Force K supporting Gold Beach.
Aug-1944 went to the Mediterranean for Operation Dragoon, the landings in the South of France. Then in Sep-1944 went to the Aegean.
Nov-1944 went to the Eastern Fleet for carrier escort duties, and in Jan-1945 joined the British Pacific Fleet with the 5th Cruiser Squadron.
Took part in operations around Okinawa, and the Japanese mainland.
Aug-1945 helped with the occupation of Shanghai.
Returned to Plymouth 06-Jul-1946 and went into reserve.
Arrived at Cashmore of Newport 19-Nov-1955 for scrapping.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
12 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.