Challenger Class (1904) CC
ships of the Challenger Class were 2nd Class Protected Cruisers. Repeats of
the Highflyer Class (1899)
but slightly larger to allow more powerful machinery and one knot faster.
Part of the 1900 construction programme.
They replaced the Katoomba Class on the Australia Station. They were also the last 2nd Class, Protected Cruiser whose development began with the Apollo Class (1892). Future cruisers incorporated a belt of Krupp Steel armour and were known as armoured cruisers.
This page last edited -
12 December, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.