Highflyer Class (1899) CC
three ships of the Highflyer Class were repeats of the earlier
Eclipse Class (1897), and
part of the 1896 construction programme.
However they incorporated the more powerful machinery and water tube boilers of the Arrogant Class (1898).
In 1913 Hermes was converted to a depot ship for the Royal Naval Air Service and used for trials for flying off and recovering seaplanes. Lessons learned, formed the basis for conversion of several ships during WW1. On completion of the trials she paid off Dec-1913. But was rapidly re-equipped as a cruiser on the outbreak of WW1.
Highflyer was the last Victoria era cruiser in active service when she paid off in early 1921.
This page last edited -
08 August, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.