HMS Newfoundland (1943) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Newfoundland was a
Built by Swan Hunter of Wallsend, laid down 09-Nov-1939, launched 19-Dec-1941, and commissioned 21-Jan-1943.
On completion served with the Home Fleet, then went to the Mediterranean in time to take part in the attack on Pantellaria and the Sicily landings Jul-1943.
On 23-Jul-1943 was damaged by a torpedo from the Italian submarine Ascianghi. After temporary repairs at Malta went to Boston in Aug-1943 for full repairs which took until Apr-1944.
On returning to home waters went for refit in the Clyde which lasted until Nov-1944.
Then it was to the Eastern Fleet in the Indian Ocean before joining the British Pacific Fleet.
In May-1945 served in the New Guinea area with units of the Royal Australian Navy.
Jul-1945 she was part of the forces bombarding the Japanese mainland and was present at the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay.
After WW2 was put into reserve, then used as a training ship before refitting at Plymouth 1951 until 05-Nov-1952.
Went to the East Indies as Flagship 4th Cruiser Squadron.
In 1956/57 was in the Red Sea and Mediterranean where she took part in the Suez campaign including sinking the Egyptian frigate Domiat on 01-Nov-1956.
Returned to the Far East and returned home to Portsmouth 24-Jun-1959 to be paid off into reserve.
Sold to Peru 02-Nov-1959.
Transferred Dec-1960 and renamed Almirante Grau.
Renamed Capitan Quinones 15-May-1973.
Used as a static training ship at Callao by 1979, and later disposed of.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
19 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.