HMS Minotaur (1868) BB (3rd)
This the third ship to carry the name HMS Minotaur was the name
ship of a class of two battleships.
Built by Thames Iron Works at Blackwall, laid down Sep-1861, launched 12-Dec-1863, and completed in Dec-1868. 400ft long, 59ft 6in wide, and of 6,621 tons builders measurement, 10,690 tons displacement.
She was armed with 4 x 9in, 24 x 7in, and 8 x 24pdr guns.
For all of her active service she was Flagship of the Channel Fleet, the senior Flagship at that time of the Royal Navy.
She went into Reserve in 1867.
Renamed HMS Boscawen Mar-1904 when she was used as a training ship at Portland.
Renamed HMS Ganges 21-Jun-1906, and went to Harwich as a training ship.
Renamed again 25-Apr-1913 as HMS Ganges II.
Sold 30-Jan-1922 and broken up at Swansea.
This page last edited -
16 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.