Home

Minotaur Class (1868) BB 

Minotaur Class was a direct follow on from Warrior the first British ironclad, but were longer and heavier.

They were the first ironclads to exceed 10,000 tons, and until the Resolution Class SSBN's of the 1960's were the longest single-screw ships to serve in the Royal Navy.

They retained the long gun deck of early designs but had larger guns and thicker armour. As built they were steered by hand which made them slow to manoeuvre, but power steering was fitted later.

They were rigged with five masts, later reduced to three when they went into reserve.

 

- Class Ship
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures

Outside Links

- References
- Links

This page last edited - 18 January, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.