HMS Londonderry (1935) SL (1st)
This the first ship to carry the name HMS Londonderry was a
Grimsby Class, sloop.
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 11-Jun-1934, launched 16-Jan-1935, and completed 20-Sep-1935.
On commissioning went to the Red Sea, remaining there until Mar-1938 when she went to Simonstown and the South Atlantic Station.
Returned to the UK Dec-1939, for a short refit and then joined the Rosyth Escort Force and East Coast escort work. Remained there until the end of 1940, when it was on to the Western Approaches until Dec-1941.
Moved on to cover convoys on the Freetown route until Oct-1942. Took part in Operation Torch, the North Africa landings from Oct-1942 to Jan-1943.
Was heavily damaged on 04-Feb-1943 when depth charges prematurely detonated. Repairs took until Nov-1943. Escorted convoys on the Gibraltar route until May-1944. From then until the end of the war in Europe escorted convoys in the English Channel area.
Paid off 22-May-1945 at Milford Haven.
Sold 08-Mar-1948 and broken up at Llanelly.
Other HMS Londonderry
This page last edited -
21 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.