Home

HMS Jupiter (1897) BB  (4th)

    
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Jupiter was one of nine Majestic Class battleships.

Built by Thomson Shipbuilders, laid down Apr-1894, launched 18-Nov-1895 and completed in May-1897. 

She served in the Channel Fleet from 1897-1905. Then mainly in the Home Fleet until refit in 1909. After refit she became a gunnery training ship in 1912 before going into Reserve.

In 1914 joined the 7th Battle Squadron and was guardship on the Humber and Tyne. In early 1915 was sent as icebreaker to Archangel in the White Sea to help keep the port open to allow supplies to flow to the Russian Army. In summer 1915 she returned to the Channel and then on to the Middle East and Far East. She was used for special service in 1917-18.

Paid off in 1919, sold 15-Jan-1920 for breaking up at Dewenthaugh.

 

Other HMS Jupiter
- 1st  HMS Jupiter
- 2nd HMS Jupiter
- 3rd HMS Jupiter
- 4th HMS Jupiter
- 5th HMS Jupiter
- 6th HMS Jupiter

- Majestic Class (1895) BB
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

This page last edited - 26 April, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.