Home

HMS Highflyer (1899) CC  (4th)

    
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Highflyer was the name ship of a class of three, 2nd Class, Protected Cruisers.

Built by Fairfield of Govan on the Clyde, laid down 07-Jun-1897, launched 04-Jun-1898 and completed 07-Dec-1899.

On completion served with the Cruiser Training Squadron 1899-1900, then went to the East Indies Station as Flagship 1900-04. Then on to the America & West Indies Station as Cadets Training Ship 1904-06.

Returned to the UK and went into reserve 1906. Back to the East Indies Station 1906-08, after which it was back to the UK and reserve 1908-10. Joined the 3rd Fleet 1910-11, then again to the East Indies Station as Flagship 1911-13. Returned to Chatham 1913, and later used as training ship for special entry cadets 1913-14.

Served in the Mid Atlantic 1914-16, then the West Africa Station 1916-17. Flagship America & West Indies Station 1917, on to the East Indies Station yet again 1918-21 (Flagship 1919-21).

Sold at Bombay 1921, the last Victoria era cruiser in active service.

 

Other HMS Highflyer
- 1st  HMS Highflyer
- 2nd HMS Highflyer
- 3rd HMS Highflyer
- 4th HMS Highflyer

- Highflyer Class (1899) CC
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c,
This page last edited - 14 December, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.