HMS Hibernia (1902) (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Hibernia was
originally HMS Achilles. A single
ship class ironclad battleship. A follow on to
the first battleship.
Built at Chatham Dockyard, laid down Aug-1861, launched 23-Dec-1863 and completed in Nov-1864. 380ft long, 58ft wide and displacing 9,820 tons.
She spent most of her service life in home waters except for three years from 1877-80 when she was in the Mediterranean.
In 1878 she took part in a voyage through the Dardanelles.
Paid off at Plymouth in 1885.
Used as a base ship and renamed HMS Hibernia 1902.
Renamed HMS Egmont Mar-1904.
Renamed HMS Egremont Jun-1916.
Renamed a last time Jun-1919 as HMS Pembroke.
- ? Class
This page last edited -
29 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.