Home

HMS Furious (1898) CC  (4th)

    
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Furious was a 2nd Class, Protected Cruiser.

Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 10-Jun-1895, launched 03-Dec-1896, and completed 01-Jul-1898.

On completion joined the Channel Squadron 1898-1902. Refitted at Chatham 1903 which included re-arming with uniform 6in main guns. To the Mediterranean 1903-05.

Returned to the UK as seagoing tender to HMS Vernon, Torpedo School at Portsmouth 1905-12. Used for wireless experiments in the Mediterranean 1911.

Used for harbour service at Portsmouth 1912 then laid up at Motherbank 1913-15. Renamed HMS Forte Jun-1915, to free the name up for the new Courageous Class Battlecruiser, and attached to HMS Vernon as a hulk.

Sold May-1923.

 

Other HMS Furious
- 1st  HMS Furious
- 2nd HMS Furious
- 3rd HMS Furious
- 4th HMS Furious
- 5th HMS Furious

- Arrogant Class (1898) CC
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c.
This page last edited - 13 July, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.