HMS Fleetwood (1936) SL (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Fleetwood was a
Grimsby Class (1936), escort sloop.
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 14-Aug-1935, launched 24-Mar-1936, and completed 19-Nov-1936.
Was chosen as a testbed for new armament and on commissioning undertook extended trials.
Underwent refit at Portsmouth Nov-1937 to Feb-1938 after which she went to the Red Sea, and remained there until the start of WW2.
Returned to the UK, arriving at Portland 11-Oct-1939 and served on the East Coast. Refitted at Dundee Nov/Dec-1939. Joined the Norwegian Campaign Apr/Jun-1940 and returned to East Coast escort work for the rest of 1940.
Escorted North Atlantic convoys Jan-1941 to Apr-1941, when she moved to Western Approaches Command and escort work on the UK approaches followed by work on the Freetown route.
Joined Operation Torch the North Africa landings. Moved to Gibraltar Aug-1943, and on 17-Nov-1943 collided with a US patrol craft and struck a jetty. Repairs took until Mar-1944 when she escorted Mediterranean convoys for the remainder of 1944.
Returned to the UK for English Channel duty, until Aug-1945, when she was put into reserve at Teesside.
Re-activated Jun-1946 to be a radar training ship. Work which lasted until Oct-1959 when she was arrived at Gateshead 10-Oct-1959 for breaking up.
Appeared at the Coronation Review 1953.
Other HMS Fleetwood
This page last edited -
13 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.