HMS Edinburgh (1716) (2nd)
The second HMS Edinburgh was originally
(1666) a third rate 70-gun ship of the line.
Built by Johnson and Castle of Blackwall, launched 08-Jun-1666, 142ft long, 38ft wide and of 898 tons builders measurement (bm).
Rebuilt at Rotherhithe 1702 with an increased tonnage of 952 tons bm.
Renamed HMS Edinburgh 02-Jan-1716.
Rebuilt again 1721 at Chatham as 1,119 tons bm.
Yet another rebuild followed 1744 at Chatham as 1,286 tons bm and a reduced gun establishment of 64-guns.
As the second HMS Edinburgh she gained the battle honours "Ushant 1747" and "Cape Francois 1757".
Broken up Nov-1811.
- ? Class
This page last edited -
06 November, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.