HMS Colombo (1919) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Colombo was a
Built by Fairfield laid down 08-Dec-1917, launched 18-Dec-1918, and commissioned 18-Jun-1919.
On completion went to the China Station with the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron until 15-Mar-1922. Then to the East Indies with the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron until 1926. After this it was on the America and West Indies Station with the 8th Cruiser Squadron until 1930 when she returned home for refit in Jan-1930.
After refit went to the Mediterranean from 1931/32 when she went to the East Indies Jul-1932. Returned home 1935 and went into reserve from 1936 to 1939.
With the start of WW2 was with the 11th Cruiser Squadron at Gibraltar. Then it was on to Northern Patrol work, capturing the German ship Henning Oldendorf on 17-Nov-1939
1940 to 41 was spent with the East Indies Fleet. blockaded Kismayu in the Italian Somaliland Feb-1941, Madagascar operations Nov-1941.
In 192 returned home for conversion to an anti-aircraft cruiser. which took from Jun-1942 to Mar-1943.
On return to service went to the Mediterranean in time for the Sicily landings.
In Aug-1944 covered the landings in the South of France.
Ending her war with operations n he Aegean Sea at the end of 1944. After which she returned home and went into reserve before the end of the war in Europe.
Sold for scrapping 22-Jan-1948, and arrived at Cashmore of Newport for breaking up 13-May-1948.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
15 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.