Carlisle Class (1918) CC
Carlisle Class (1918) light cruisers were a repeat of the previous
Class (1917) ships, and the sixth sub-group of C Class light cruisers.
Ordered Jul-1917, the only difference between them and the previous ships was an increase in the height of the bow by 5ft, to reduce the wetness of the earlier ships. The additional height reduced to meet original deck line at the No1 gun.
Cairo, Calcutta and Carlisle were converted to Anti-aircraft cruisers in 1938 and 1939, in the same way as earlier C Class cruisers had been converted. Colombo was converted in 1942, Capetown was not converted due to shortage of dockyard resources.
This page last edited -
03 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.