HMS Ceres (1917) CC (3rd)
This the third ship to carry the name HMS Ceres was a Light
Cruiser, and name ship of a class of five.
Built by John Brown on the Clyde, laid down 11-Jul-1916, launched 24-Mar-1917, and completed 01-Jun-1917.
On completion joined the 6th Light Cruiser Squadron. Then went to the Mediterranean and the 3rd Cruiser Squadron from 1919 to 1927, including a spell in the Black Sea in 1920.
After refit from 1929/31 she went into Reserve until May-1932 when she went back to the Mediterranean.
Went back to Reserve on 27-Nov-1932 where she remained until Sep-1939.
On re-commissioning joined the Channel force. Then in November was with the 11th Cruiser Squadron on the Northern Patrol.
In early 1940 went to the Far East, reaching Singapore in April.
Took part in the East African Campaign in 1940/41, assisting in the evacuation of Berbera, British Somaliland Aug-1940. Feb-1941 blockaded Kismayu, in the Italian Somaliland, also the later British offensive in East Africa.
Remained in the East Indies with the Eastern Fleet until Oct-1943 when she went to the Mediterranean and later back to home waters in time for the Normandy landings Jun-1944.
Late 1944 went into Reserve as an accommodation ship at Portsmouth. Where she remained until the end of WW2.
Sent for scraping 05-Apr-1946 and arrived at Hughes Bolckow, Blyth for breaking up 12-Jul-1946.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
24 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.