HMS Capetown (1918) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Capetown was a
Built by Cammell Laird, laid down 23-Feb-1918, launched 28-Jun-1918, completed at Pembroke Dockyard and commissioned 10-Apr-1922.
On completion went to the America and West Indies Station, until 1929 when she returned and went into reserve. On 17-Jul-1934 went to the China Station and the 5th Cruiser Squadron returning home to reserve Aug-1938.
When WW2 started was at Gibraltar with the North Atlantic Command, then went to the Mediterranean with the 3rd Cruiser Squadron and covered convoys in the Aegean.
Went to the Indian Ocean 1941, for the Offensive against Italian Somaliland there she was torpedoed by the Motor Torpedo Boat MS213. Taken under tow by HMAS Parramatta she was brought into Port Sudan. Repairs took a year.
Went to the Eastern Fleet from 1942 to 1943 and returned home in 1944.
Provided support for the Normandy landings Jun-1944.
Spent the rest of the war as an accommodation ship.
Sold 05-Apr-1946 and arrived at Ward of Preston for breaking up 02-Jun-1946.
This page last edited -
12 September, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.