Eclipse Class (1897) CC
nine ships of the Eclipse Class (1897) were 2nd class protected cruisers,
larger versions of the Astraea
Class (1895) and part of the 1893 construction programme.
More heavily armed than the Astraea's their additional 1,000 tons displacement also improved their seakeeping properties.
During 1902-04 they were re-armed with a uniform battery of 11 x 6in guns.
They were successful ships and served through to the end of WW1, moving to foreign stations in 1915..
This page last edited -
14 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.