HMS Wells (1940) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Wells was a Town
Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers
for bases agreement.
Originally the USS Tillman DD135, built at Charleston Naval Yard, laid down 29-Jul-1918, launched 07-Jul-1919, commissioned in the US Navy 30-Apr-1921, commissioned in the Royal Navy 05-Dec-1940.
Defects, collisions and repairs delayed her arrival at Devonport for refit until 09-Mar-1941. The refit completed 10-Apr-1941 and she then joined the 1st Minelaying Squadron at Kyle of Lochalsh.
However she worked mainly as convoy escort until she needed at refit on the Humber which lasted from 03-Sep-1941 to 25-November. Resumed duty with the 1st Minelaying Squadron until her next refit at Newport, Monmouthshire took from June until Sep-1942.
Continued with a variety of convoy, troop and North Africa invasion duties.
The next month long refit, this time on the Clyde began Jan-1943. After this she returned to the 1st Minelaying Squadron. Further repair work at Newport took from Apr-1943 until 01-Aug-1943 when she joined the Home Fleet for a short spell then on to Rosyth Command for escort duty on the East coast.
Refitted as an Air Target Ship Oct to Nov-1944. However defects meant she did not begin this work until Apr-1945.
Paid off 24-Jul-1945 and broken up at Troon.
Other HMS Wells
This page last edited -
11 May, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.