HMS Ursa (1944) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Ursa was a U Class
Built by Thornycroft, laid down 02-May-1942, launched 22-Jul-1943, and commissioned 01-Mar-1944.
Early service comprised carrier raids off Norway, followed by operations for the Normandy landings, Jun-1944.
After this it was on to the Mediterranean and duty in the Adriatic.
To the East Indies Early 1945, before moving to the British Pacific Fleet.
Ended the war going to Hong Kong for its re-occupation.
Converted to a Type 15 frigate 1952-54 with the pennant number F200.
Went into reserve Nov-1956, used as a training ship Oct-1966.
Arrived at Newport 25-Sep-1967 for breaking up.
Other HMS Ursa
This page last edited -
03 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.