Home

HMS Sceptre (1781)  (1st)
3rd Rate 64-gun

The first HMS Sceptre was a third rate, 64-gun, Ship-of-the-line.

Built at Rotherhithe launched 08-Jun-1781, 160ft long, 41ft wide, and of 1,398 tons builders measurement. 

As part of Vice Admiral Sir Edward Hughes' squadron, Sceptre saw much action as part of the East India squadron. In 1782, she participated in the fourth battle of a bloody campaign between Vice Admiral Hughes and the French Admiral Suffren's squadron.

Further action in 1794 as part of a force under the command of Commodore John Ford resulted in the capture of Port au Prince, Haiti. Action in 1795 saw Sceptre gain her second Battle Honour in Vice Admiral Sir Keith Elphinstone's squadron, which captured a Dutch squadron in Saldanha Bay.

Foundered 05-Dec-1799 with all 291 hands during a hurricane in Table Bay, Cape of Good Hope, when a series of anchor cables parted in rising winds.

Won the Battle Honours: Trincomalee 1782 and Cape of Good Hope 1795.

 

Other HMS Sceptre
- 1st  HMS Sceptre
- 2nd HMS Sceptre
- 3rd HMS Sceptre
- 4th HMS Sceptre
- 5th HMS Sceptre

- ? Class
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

This page last edited - 13 November, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.